All-New Side x Side Boasts More Power, Better Handling, Enhanced Comfort
and the Longest Warranty in its Class!The all-new 2014 Kawasaki Teryx® shatters the two-seat Side x Side mold with a new larger chassis, a significant overall power boost, and premium FOX Podium high-performance shocks. Add-in an all-new new larger cockpit and an enhanced cargo bed and you get a bigger, bolder package that pushes the Teryx’s performance, handling, comfort and utility to new levels. Whether tackling a tough job or a rough trail, the new Teryx delivers like no other Side x Side in its class.
Teryx’s character-filled, purpose-built 90-degree V-twin is revered for its fantastic sound, stump-pulling power and amazing flexibility. For 2014, it packs more power than ever thanks to a substantial displacement bump from 749cc to 783cc. Those extra cubes generate a whopping 26% more power and 12% more torque right where you need it, in the low- to mid-range, which makes short work of scrambling up steep hills, stomping through mud bogs and crawling over rocks. The 2014 Teryx does all this while delivering better fuel efficiency than the old engine for even more driving time between fuel stops!
Kawasaki’s engineers achieved these goals via optimized camshaft profiles and revised exhaust headers that allow the Teryx’s new engine to consistently deliver exciting power when driving solo, with a passenger, or when carrying heavy loads. And yet the added torque hasn’t upset the Teryx’s super smooth character in the least, as its 90-degree V-twin design retains perfect primary balance to help keep things comfortable for the driver and passenger during long off-road treks.
Routing all that torque and power to the ground is a proven Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), centrifugal clutch assembly and a three-mode electronically selectable 4WD system that features instant access to 2WD, 4WD and 4WD+Front Differential Lock modes for optimum gearing and traction simply by rotating a dash-mounted switch. The CVT is well-known for its quick response and direct engine “feel” in sportier riding situations, and its unique engine braking capability can increase driver confidence on descents, while turning and in rough conditions. So whether it’s climbing a rocky uphill trail, negotiating a wet stream bed, hauling lumber for fixing fences on the farm, or just plain hauling down a wide-open two-track trail, the Teryx has an ideal drivetrain mode to handle it.
The Teryx side x side’s all-new Double-X chassis takes on rough and technical terrain. Its highly rigid square tube frame effectively combats flex to provide superior handling over rough ground, and its extremely tight 16.7’ turning radius makes maneuvering in close quarters a cinch – a real benefit over the competition that is often forced to make multi-point turns in the same space.
This stout frame was designed by Kawasaki engineers using detailed computer analysis and loads of off-road testing to create its super-strong Double-X design, which features two X-shaped cross members that bridge the frame’s box structures from corner-to-corner for maximum strength and optimum durability. The frame is also significantly reinforced by the 2014 Teryx’s upgraded and certified Roll-Over Protective Structure (ROPS), which extends all the way out to the edges of the bodywork to maximize cockpit space and help shield the chassis and bodywork from damage. The Teryx’s underbody engine guards offer an added measure of protection by shielding vital components; their smooth surfaces act as a skid plate when grinding over the occasional obstacle becomes necessary.
This impressive chassis package is further enhanced with a wide-track/wide-body design that contributes to superb cornering characteristics. The wide track helps resist body roll during cornering and boosts its ability to cope with rough terrain at speed. Mid-ship engine placement, also new for the Teryx model, helps by centralizing the vehicle’s center of mass to reduce turning inertia and promote easy direction changes.
Easy, low-effort and precise steering are hallmarks of the Teryx’s clever Electric Power Steering (EPS) system. EPS offers additional damping on straights, especially on rough surfaces, as well as reduced steering kickback and bump-steer. The Showa-built system eliminates the traditional power-steering pump found on most of the competition, so steering inputs don’t rob engine power, and it is only active when the engine is running, so there’s also no battery drain. Input from vehicle speed and torque sensors determine the amount of steering assistance – more during slow-speed use, and less as speeds increase, just like a state-of-the-art sports car.
Teryx’s independent suspension was already legendary, but the 2014 Teryx adds to the legacy by incorporating one of the best names in the high-performance suspension business, FOX. Stout steel A-arms at all four corners are mated to all-new, adjustable FOX Podium piggyback reservoir shocks with 8.0” of high-quality travel up front and 8.3” out back, to give the Teryx more trail-taming comfort than ever before.
Kawasaki engineers collaborated with FOX to fit the Teryx with the ultimate high-performance FOX Podium shocks, which are adjustable for spring preload and 24-way compression damping, to tailor the ride to the terrain. As always, Kawasaki and FOX incorporated a dual-mode design ideology so the adjustable FOX Podium coil-over shocks provide everything from cruising comfort with two passengers and a full cargo bed to sport-style bump absorption when driven solo. It’s a difficult combination to get right, but the FOX Podium shocks get the job done by maintaining consistent fade-free damping in all driving conditions.
With the Teryx’s substantially increased performance and improved handling potential, consistent brake performance is also essential, and the Teryx delivers with high-performance hydraulic discs up front using 200mm rotors gripped by dual-piston calipers for exceptional feel and stopping power. The brakes are recessed within the wheels to help keep them away from dirt, rocks, water and debris, while sturdy steel-braided lines help keep pedal feel crisp and progressive.
In back is Kawasaki’s unique sealed internal wet brake, which features internal components that are completely sealed from mud, water, dust and debris. The result is powerful and ultra-reliable braking performance whether descending steep hills or running wide open on fast trails, wet or dry.
Large 26” Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires offer the type of ride comfort, control and traction you’d expect from a Teryx side x side. Their construction and tread design helps maximize forward traction while optimizing response for aggressive cornering.
The Teryx side x side’s 85.8” wheelbase affords it a surprisingly small turning radius, yet its substantial 11.0” of ground clearance helps keep it from bottoming when cresting an obstacle or ridge, while high approach and departure angles (79 and 65 degrees, respectively), reduce the possibility of smacking the front bumper when approaching a steep slope or scraping the tail when exiting one.
Teryx also excels at all sorts of workday tasks, from crew hauling to towing. Its sizable 28” by 43”, tilting cargo bed is 10.4” deep and boasts a new, heavy-duty 600-lb. payload capacity with a flat bottom that is big enough for a large cooler, several spare fuel cans or other large objects. The bed also features the capability to add Kawasaki’s optional new tool snap-mount system that allows for snap-mounting of Kawasaki accessories and/or tools to the bed rails. Four tie-down loops help secure the cargo, and two new water-resistant rear storage compartments offer 182 liters of total capacity – the largest in its class. The Teryx also features a latching tailgate that can be removed without requiring tools, and the tailgate features molded-in drink holders for added convenience. A 2” hitch receiver is standard as the Teryx’s towing capacity is a substantial 1,300 pounds.
Convenience features include two DC power outlets providing up to 120 watts of peak electrical power, while nearly 8 gallons of fuel capacity and improved fuel economy for 2014 offer substantial range, enough for a long day on the trail. There’s also a conveniently located beverage holder for each occupant.
The Teryx side x side’s attractive styling matches its powerful image. It starts with an aggressive looking hood that opens for ease of maintenance up-front. The headlamp and fender designs give the Teryx a no-nonsense look that says “sporty” and “functional” at the same time. Accessing the front suspension, coolant reservoir, air filter and electrical equipment is easy, thanks to an easy-open front hood, which is part of a tough, sporty looking body package.
Unlike many of its competitors, the Teryx features factory-designed secure latching doors that are easy to use, look good and offer a high level of mud protection. Scratch-resistant Vibrant Blue bodywork and textured paint on the sturdy front guard and ROPS cage, help keep the Teryx looking sharp for a good long time.
Both the driver and passenger will enjoy riding in the Teryx during a long day, because it’s the most comfortable Side x Side in its class, by far. Its roomy interior gives the driver and passenger ample room to spread-out, with plenty of hip, shoulder and legroom, and its all-new high-backed bucket seats feature high-quality cushioning and cold-resistant seat material for all-day plushness. The adjustable seats eliminate the need for a headrest and feature wraparound ergonomics to hold driver and passenger firmly in place. They also offer three positions in 1” increments to tailor the Teryx’s comfort to fit a wide range of body types. And when the going gets rough, three-point seatbelts offer a high degree of security to keep the driver and passengers in place. Shock-absorbing comfort mounts and an anti-cinch feature on the seatbelts also help prevent over-tightening when the belts lock during sudden deceleration (or when the tilt sensor is activated).
Teryx’s instrumentation is top-notch, and includes a multi-function electronic display that provides a ton of useful information: speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer and hour meter, clock, dual trip meters, 2WD/4WD indicator, front-differential indicator light, parking-brake indicator, water-temp and fuel-injection warning indicators, reverse indicator light, etc. – everything you need to know.
When you consider everything that has gone into the new 2014 Teryx, it’s clear there is really no competition for its overall excellence. But Kawasaki didn’t stop with simply building the best Side x Side in the world; they backed it up with the new Kawasaki Strong 3 Year Limited Warranty! It’s well known that the Teryx’s premium engineering makes it a long-lasting and dependable product. Now, that peace of mind is enhanced with factory-backed support for a full three years on every 2014 Teryx and Teryx4 side x side!
Strength. Power. Comfort. Convenience. Hauling and towing ability. Reliability. The Teryx model line has been a pinnacle of off-road fun and function since its inception, and the 2014 Teryx ushers in a new era in Kawasaki Side x Side performance, reliability and comfort!
A large selection of Kawasaki Genuine Accessories is available through authorized Kawasaki dealers. As with all off-highway vehicle recreation, Kawasaki encourages Side x Side drivers to drive responsibly and to respect the environment.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, Side x Sides, and Jet Ski® watercraft through a network of more than 1,200 independent retailers, with an additional 7,400 retailers specializing in Kawasaki power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 3,100 people in the United States, with 300 of them located at KMC's Irvine, California headquarters.
Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide. The Kawasaki brand is synonymous with powerful, stylish and category-leading vehicles. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of powersports products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.
Features and Benefits Key Features
- NEW Larger 783cc digital fuel-injected 90-degree V-twin offers more power than ever, delivered exactly where a Side x Side needs it most. Even better... it does it all while delivering better fuel economy!
- NEW fully adjustable FOX Podium piggyback reservoir shocks offer excellent sporty control and plush ride comfort
- NEW Super-strong double-X frame design with integrated ROPS cage offers rigidity and durability for the Teryx™ side x side’s extra weight and higher carrying capacity
- NEW Secure-latching doors allow quick and easy entry and are painted to match the rest of the Teryx’s durable bodywork
- NEW Bodywork and aggressive styling are a better match to the natural strength and performance of a Teryx 4x4
- Kawasaki engineering and construction that is visibly strong, with high-quality welds, large bearings, stout U-joints and a premium look that can only be found on Teryx® side x sides
- NEW Kawasaki Strong 3 Year Limited Warranty backs-up the premium engineering with the longest warranty coverage in its class
- Electric Power Steering (EPS) system offers low-effort steering and extra damping at speed and in rough going
- Roomy interior lets the driver and passenger stretch out, while ample cargo space means you can take along plenty of supplies and gear
- Superb off-road ability, including high-grade Maxxis Bighorn 26” tires on 12” rims, 11.1” of ground clearance, a 17-degree break-over angle, and 23.6” water fording depth
- Continuously variable transmission (CVT) and a centrifugal clutch offer sporty performance and the slow-speed throttle precision needed in tricky or slow-speed conditions
- Electronic three-mode transfer case is controlled by a handy cockpit switch and allows instantaneous changes from 2WD to 4WD and 4WD with differential lock for maximum traction situations
- Dual 200mm front discs and a sealed multi-plate rear brake system help provide stopping power
- Convenience features include latching doors, auto-style parking brake, roomy cargo area, full instrumentation, passenger hand-holds, over fenders for mud protection, easy-opening front hood for maintenance and much more
- Multi-function instrumentation offers the driver a host of important information, including speed, hour meter, fuel level and much more
- NEW Larger 783cc SOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder, digital fuel-injected, 90-degree V-twin pumps out 12% more torque over a broad spread of the rev band, plus 26% more power, especially in the low- and mid-range, precisely where a Side x Side needs it.
- NEW With 20% improved fuel economy, the new 2014 Teryx goes farther than ever on one tank of gas
- Oversquare (85 x 69mm) engine dimensions and high-flow four-valve cylinder heads contribute to the Teryx’s superb acceleration, low- and mid-range pulling power and overall engine flexibility
- 90-degree V-twin configuration offers perfect primary balance, resulting in low engine vibration and maximum comfort for driver and passengers
- Aluminum cylinders are electrofusion-plated for light weight and excellent heat dispersion – all of which add durability and reliability
- Valve timing, lift and ignition timing are optimized, as is the exhaust system, for a powerplant that pumps out ideal power for a Side x Side
- Piston wall thickness, connecting rod bearing surfaces and crank journal surfaces are optimized for durability
- Engine can be started in gear as long as the brake pedal is depressed
- A heavy-duty liquid cooling system keeps temperatures under control in the harshest conditions, and provides long-term dependability
- Underhood snorkel air intake and massive air box feed the engine plenty of clean air while minimizing intake noise. Easy maintenance design promotes long engine life
- Paper air filter element offers plenty of surface area and excellent dust resistance
- Large-capacity radiator is compact and placed high in the chassis for protection against mud and debris, while a large cooling fan increases cooling capacity, especially during slower going and while towing heavy loads
- Large-diameter cooling-system hoses maximize coolant flow and overall capacity, while the coolant reservoir is located beneath the flip-up front cover for easy maintenance
- Engine weight is reduced via numerous advanced technologies, including lightened crank webs, rare earth magnet usage, a small generator, and paring excess material wherever possible
- An ignition cut-out helps preserve the brake system, by preventing driving while the parking brake is engaged
- Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®) system offers excellent throttle response and automatically adjusts for changes in temperature and elevation for optimum performance in a wide range of environments
- Teryx’s DFI system is controlled by a 32-bit ECU and continuously monitors coolant temperature, air-intake temperature and pressure, throttle position, vehicle speed and crankshaft angle, to automatically provide the ideal amount of fuel via two 36mm throttle bodies, which include 12-hole fine-atomizing injectors, for extremely stable power delivery regardless of the conditions
- FI system permits easy engine starting at low temperature and utilizes an Automatic Idle Speed Control and Automatic Fast Idle function to help ensure smooth engine warm up
- The high-pressure fuel pump located within the tank features a unique reservoir chamber at the bottom of the pump to help ensure air does not leak into the fuel system
- Specific Teryx-sized throttle bodies, optimized ignition timing and fine-atomizing injectors maximize low- and mid-range torque as well as offer excellent response at higher rpm
- Featuring high and low ranges, plus reverse, this advanced and continuously variable transmission provides extremely direct engine feel along with instantaneous acceleration from the centrifugal clutch
- Transmission uses a strong, high-grade, Kevlar-impregnated belt designed to handle the high output of the engine. The drive converter shaft is hard chrome-finished for added durability
- The smooth centrifugal clutch is key to the Teryx’s superior acceleration precision at slow and very slow speeds
- Centrifugal clutch is located between the crankshaft and CVT drive pulley, which eliminates CVT belt shock and contributes to optimal transmission performance
- The CVT Belt Protection System helps prevent freewheel, improves rocky terrain performance and reduces belt overloading by adding Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) data into the system
- Unnecessary belt wear is minimized with a system that reduces engine speed if the engine operates at high rpm for more than two seconds while the rear wheels are motionless
- A large intake duct, located high to keep water and debris out, provides plenty of cooling air to the CVT
- Heat shielding on the exhaust pipe below the intake duct helps minimize CVT temperatures
- Selecting two- or four-wheel drive is as easy as rotating a switch located on the dash to quickly choose between 2WD / 4WD / 4WD+differential lock
- Limited-slip front differential reduces steering effort under normal four-wheel drive operation, while a convenient dash-mounted knob allows the front differential to be locked to help boost traction in slippery conditions
- NEW High-performance gas-charged FOX Podium shocks on all-four corners feature remote reservoirs and adjustable spring preload and 24-way compression damping for excellent fade-resistant performance in the toughest conditions
- NEW 8.0” of front and 8.3” of rear wheel travel help provide a plush, controlled ride
- Sport-focused suspension has optimized spring and damping settings for high-performance driving and a high degree of comfort with extra passengers
- Independent rear suspension provides the best possible performance and handling over a wide-range of speeds
- The piggyback reservoirs on all-four shocks help reduce oil frothing under hard conditions by keeping the shocks cooler under strain
- A front torsion bar helps minimize body roll, maximizing chassis performance
- Electrically powered system reduces steering effort, especially at low speeds when turning effort is greatest
- Input from vehicle speed and torque sensors determine the amount of steering assistance required from the system’s motor
- Electric motor’s inertia reduces bump steer and kickback to the steering wheel caused by shocks to the wheels, resulting in a more comfortable and controlled ride
- NEW The super-strong double-X frame design bridges each of the boxed sections with cross members that significantly stiffen and strengthen the overall structure, adding durability and reducing flex
- NEW Strong tubular steel cab framework meets SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4 and 7.5 requirements as a roll-over protective structure (ROPS) and helps protect driver and passengers from trees, bushes and other overhanging obstacles, while also lending extra strength to the double-X frame
- Steel guards protect the engine from rocks and other trail hazards
- NEW Sport-focused suspension has optimized spring and damping settings for high-performance riding and a high degree of comfort with extra passengers
- Wide-body track and new longer 85.8” wheelbase allows the ability to climb over obstacles that would ground longer and lower vehicles and offers a superior ride compared to smaller units with shorter wheelbases promotes secure handling, especially at speed, yet turning radius remains surprisingly tight – 16.7’
- NEW Short wheelbase offers other advantages, including a favorable breakover angle, which allows the Teryx to climb over obstacles without high-centering
- NEW Chassis offers 11.0” of ground clearance, an ideal compromise between sport handling and the ability to clear tough off-road obstacles
- NEW Frame design optimizes front and rear suspension lower A-arm lengths for precise handling and minimal geometry change throughout the suspension’s travel
- Engine and undercarriage guards provide maximum protection from rocks and debris
- NEW Chassis and suspension serve up an ideal balance of bump absorption, taut steering and ride comfort
- Underhood snorkel air intake and massive air box feed the engine plenty of clean air while reducing intake noise. Easy maintenance design promotes long engine life
- Paper air filter element offers plenty of surface area and increased dust resistance
- Dual front 200mm disc brakes gripped by rigid-mount 27mm twin-piston calipers provide powerful, fade-free braking and solid feel. To protect against damage and debris, the discs are tucked within wheel recesses
- Premium quality braided-stainless-steel lines provide excellent brake feel and consistency
- A sealed, oil-bathed multi-plate rear brake system provides maximum stopping power in almost any condition along with reduced maintenance due to its completely sealed design
- The sealed rear brake’s compact design contributes to excellent ground clearance
- 26-inch Maxxis tires developed specifically for Teryx side x sides provide outstanding traction in many different conditions
- Mounted on durable 12” rims, they are some of the largest tires available in the Side x Side category and provide outstanding rough terrain performance and obstacle clearance
- NEW Strong 28” x 43” tilting cargo bed is both durable and plenty useful, especially with the Teryx’s increased 600-lb. payload capacity
- NEW With standard cargo hooks, the Teryx’s cargo bed helps carry quite a bit of gear, making it highly functional for work as well as play
- NEW Optional Kawasaki Tool Mount System allows for snap-mounting of Kawasaki accessories and/or tools to the bed rails
- Latching tailgate offers easy tool-free removal and features molded-in drink holders
- NEW With its massive passenger compartment, the Teryx provides best-in-class shoulder and legroom
- NEW Form-fitting high-back bucket seats are three-way adjustable and feature retractable three-point seatbelts (with a shock absorbing anti-cinch system) to help provide a comfortable ride
- NEW Roomy seating position makes the Teryx easier get in and out of than other sport Side x Sides
- NEW Rear storage compartments offer 182 liters of total storage – the largest in the class – with sealed and latching lids to provide excellent water and dust resistance
- NEW Center tray with tie-hooks provides secure location for small cooler or tool/tackle box
- Hand holds for passenger are standard, making it easier to climb in and out
- A drink holder for each occupant is standard and helps boost comfort on long drives
- Padded sport-style steering wheel is positioned low for comfort
- Standard on all models, the Multi-function Display includes a digital speedometer (mph or kph), clock, dual trip meters plus 2WD/4WD/4WD w/ differential lock indicator, water temperature and fuel-injection warning indicators, digital fuel gauge, hour meter, parking-brake indicator, CVT belt warning, neutral, reverse and low-oil-pressure warning lights, and much more
- NEW Bodywork and aggressive styling are a better match to the natural strength and performance of a Teryx 4x4
- NEW Secure-latching doors allow quick and easy entry and are painted to match the rest of the Teryx’s durable bodywork
- NEW Underbody engine guards protect vital components; smooth surface acts as a skid plate, which aids in clearing obstacles
- NEW Vibrant Blue color has the Teryx looking as well as it performs
- Strong thermoplastic olefin bodywork looks great and offers a scratch-resistant surface that’s capable of staying good-looking much longer than the cheap plastic bodywork offered by some competitors
- Fender extensions help keep flinging mud at bay
- Strong all-steel front guard helps protect the nose from brush, trail debris and minor impacts
- Forward-tilting front hood assembly offers quick access to the radiator and front suspension components for easy maintenance and suspension tuning
- Dual 35W headlights and 8/27W dual taillights mean you’ll see and be seen
- Large 7.9-gal. (30L) fuel tank and excellent fuel efficiency provide workers, campers, hunters and trail explorers the ability to get far, far away and back again
- Even with its wide track and big tires, the Teryx is compact enough to fit in the bed of most full-size pickup trucks
2014 Kawasaki Teryx® Specifications*
|Engine:||Liquid-cooled, 90-degree, four-stroke V-twin|
|Valve system:||SOHC, four valves per cylinder|
|Bore x stroke:||85.0 x 69.0mm|
|Fuel system:||DFI® with two 36mm Mikuni throttle bodies|
|Ignition:||TCBI w/ electronic advance|
|Transmission:||Continuously variable belt-drive transmission w/ high and low range, reverse, and a wet centrifugal clutch|
|Final drive:||Selectable four-wheel drive w/ locking front differential, shaft|
|Frame:||Double-X reinforced design using large-diameter, thin-walled, high-tensile tubular steel|
|Front suspension / wheel travel:||Dual A-arm w/ new piggyback reservoir coil-over FOX Podium shocks, with adjustable spring preload and 24-way compression damping / 8.0 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel:||Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) w/ new piggyback reservoir coil-over FOX Podium shocks, with adjustable spring preload and 24-way compression damping / 8.3 in.|
|Front tires:||Maxxis 26x9-12|
|Rear tires:||Maxxis 26x11-12|
|Front brakes:||Dual hydraulic discs w/ 2-piston calipers|
|Rear brake:||Sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc|
|Overall length:||117.3 in.|
|Overall width:||61.6 in.|
|Overall height:||74.8 in.|
|Ground clearance:||11.0 in.|
|Lighting:||(2) 35W headlights, (2) 8 W taillight, 24 W stoplight|
|Cargo bed capacity:||600 lbs., 43.3 W x 27.6 L x 10.4 in. H|
|Towing capacity:||1,300 lbs.|
|Curb weight:||1,542.8 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity:||7.9 gal.|
|Instruments:||Multi-function digital meter w/ speedometer, fuel gauge, clock hour meter, odometer, dual trip meter and parking-brake indicator, CVT belt, R/N/P/4WD, water temp and low-oil-pressure indicators|
|Warranty:||Kawasaki Strong 3 Year Limited Warranty|
|Kawasaki Protection Plus:||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|
|Wholesale distributor:||Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.9950 Jeronimo RoadIrvine, CA92618 949-770-0400 www.kawasaki.com|
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UTVGuide